Frauenkirche (full name "Dom zu Unserer Lieben Frau") is a major landmark and dominates with its 99 meter high twin towers the skyline of the Bavarian capital. It was built between 1468 to 1494 by Jörg von Halsbach and today it serves as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising and seat of its Archbishop. The cathedral can hold approximately 20,000 people, and Catholic Mass is held regularly. The interior of the cathedral, which is among the largest hall churches in southern Germany, consists of the nave and two side aisles. The arches were designed by Heinrich von Straubing. Much of the interior was destroyed during WWII. An attraction that survived is the Teufelsschritt, or Devil's Footstep, at the entrance. This is a black mark resembling a footprint, which according to legend was where the devil stood when he curiously regarded and ridiculed the 'windowless' church that Halsbach had built.
Theatinerkirche, located at Odeonsplatz, was built in Italian high-Baroque style from 1663 to 1690, inspired by Sant'Andrea della Valle in Rome, designed by the Italian architect Agostino Barelli. His successor, Enrico Zuccalli, added two towers, originally not planned, and then finished the 71 meter high dome in 1690. The facade in Rococo style was completed only in 1768 by François de Cuvilliés. It was founded by Elector Ferdinand Maria and his wife, Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, as a gesture of thanks for the birth of the long-awaited heir to the Bavarian crown, Prince Max Emanuel, in 1662. The interior has a rich stucco decoration and the altars house paintings of Caspar de Crayer, Carlo Cignani, George Desmareés and Joachim Sandrart.
Peterskirche close to Marienplatz is the oldest church of the Munich inner city. It was first built during the Romanesque period, and was the focus of the early monastic settlement in Munich before the city's official foundation in 1158. Its tower is commonly known as "Alter Peter" from which one has a great view of Munich.
Michaeliskirche or "St Michael" is a Jesuit church at the corner Neuhauser Strasse and Ettstrasse. It is the largest Renaissance church north of the Alps. The style of the building had an enormous influence on Southern German early Baroque architecture. The church was built by William V, Duke of Bavaria between 1583 and 1597 as a spiritual center for the Counter Reformation. The foundation stone was laid in 1585. The crypt contains among others the tombs of several members of the Wittelsbach dynasty including fairy tale king Ludwig II.
Asamkirche on Sendlinger Straße was built from 1733 to 1746 by the brothers Egid Quirin Asam and Cosmas Damian Asam as their private church. Due to resistance of the citizens, the brothers were forced to make the church accessible to the public. It is one of the most important examples of late Baroque architecture in South Germany.
New Jewish Center in the city center was finished in 2006 and consists of the the Ohel Jakob Synagogue, the Jewish Museum and a Cultural Center. The spectacular synagogue was designed by architects Rena Wandel-Hoefer and Wolfgang Lorch. It is a cubic structure of travertine stone topped by a glass cube. The glass roof represents a tent (or Ohel), symbolizing Moses' 40-year-journey through the desert. The main portal was manufactured in Budapest and features Hebrew letters depicting the 10 commandments.