Registering your address

Within a week of arriving in Munich, you are required to register your place of residence. It’s called Anmeldung, it’s easy and it’s a key formality. It applies to everyone who lives in Germany, citizens and foreign residents alike. Without official registration of your local address you can’t get a residence permit. Nor can you complete your enrollment at the university or do other official things that require proof of residence.

For Munich addresses, you register at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) in its Einwohnermeldeamt (resident registration office). In the suburbs, the Einwohnermeldeamt can vary from town to town. Just ask a local. Everyone knows where their registration office is.

Address registration checklist

You’ll need:

Registration form, called a meldeschein, available at Einwohnermeldeamt. A PDF meldeschein for Munich in German is also available.

Valid passport (non-EU citizens) or ID card (EU/EEA citizens).

Visa if required for entry into Germany.

Rental agreement / lease.


You also need to re-register if you change your address or name while you’re here. When leaving Germany for good please notify the Einwohnermeldeamt as well (called abmelden). The Abmeldung can be done in person or in writing. A PDF Abmeldung form for Munich in German is also available.

Where to register

In Munich:

Kreisverwaltungsreferat / Einwohnermeldeamt (KVR ground floor)

Ruppertstr. 19

80337 Munich

U-Bahn U3 or U6 or Bus 31 to Poccistrasse

Tel. +49 (0)89  233 96 00 0

Office hours:

Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 12:00

Friday 7:00 – 12:00

Extended hours Tuesday 14:00 – 18:30

Please note that we have collected the information of other parts of the Internet together. We do not accept responsibility for the correctness of the information in this guide. Here are the ressources we have used. You can find the sources HERE!